Tuesday, January 1, 2008

On Resolutions and the Nightmare of History

Blogging with Emily: A History

2001: Motivated almost exclusively by peer pressure and the desire to impress Brian Hitselberger (?!?) Emily starts her first blog over at Diaryland. There are a few a shining moments of pith and wit, but she unfortunately abandons it to focus her energies more completely on smoking pot in cars and freaking out about her studies, thereby depriving herself of what could have been a highly lucrative career as an internet superstar.

2003-4: In a fit of emo passion, Emily starts another blog over at Livejournal. She manages to update it regularly for approximately one month, but then chooses to devote herself instead to ill-advised romantic relationships, which she tragically does not write about.

2005: After moving back home to Rhode Island, Emily decides to launch herself back into creative writing by starting yet another blog at Livejournal. She manages to post one sentence, once, and spends the rest of the year gaining weight and temping.

2008: Emily shakes off the blogging failures of her past and starts afresh, this time at Blogspot.

And this time, there's a goal. My New Year's resolution is 365 posts in 365 days. This time I think it will actually work, based on the following reasons:

1.) I have a job which requires me to sit in front of a computer for eight hours a days, 5 days a week, and an extraordinary capacity for procrastination.

2.) I have honed my ability to make myself feel guilty to a razor-like edge - see: going to the gym.

3.) I'm linking this to Facebook, so maybe someone will actually read my brilliant and sparkling posts, and maybe the fear of public shame will keep me from making an ass out of myself. (Not that this has ever worked before.)

4.) I'm...more mature and self-discliplined???

No comments: