Wednesday, January 2, 2008

On Ambition, Reader Response, and the Flawed Western Calendar

My beloved readers have already pointed out some flaws in my ambitious blogging plan. One, from my cherished boyfriend, is that this is a leap year and there will be 366 days of Emily, not 365. The other, from a foreign correspondent, is that while keeping a blog is all well and good, the minutae of my existence as a non-profit employee/resident of upstate New York might not be the stuff of which great and epic tales are spun. My initial response was going to be, hey, fuck you, which is my initial response to most things, but then I actually took stock of my day so far.
Here's what I've done:

Woke up late.
Lost keys.
Went to work.
Did boring non-profit stuff.
Thought about lunch.

Clearly, I am not a unique and beautiful snowflake. While there are the occasional moments of wild excitement (I throw small change at Mark's head, something breaks at work, there's a lot of snow), if I had to look back at 2008 and realize my most thrilling moment was when, say, I paid off my credit card bill, I'd probably shoot myself My foreign correspondent suggested that a more interesting blog would the adventures of Remy LeBouef, Rock Detective, as he solves the great mysteries of Rock, which is completely true, it would be way more interesting. It would also require an enormous amount of creative effort on my part, moreover a lot of discliplined creative effort, which I've failed notably at in the past, and so I've decided to take him at his word and do it. In addition to this one. I've always been interested in the idea of keeping a diary as a completely different person, and I think that I'm going to start one, in which Remy will be making cameo appearances.

But Emily, you say, aren't there people who do things like that online already, except they're pretending to be Eowyn of Rohan's twin sister or Han Solo's clone or something? Aren't they sort of terrifying and lame and don't you make fun of them at any available opportunity? Are you also going to start dressing up as anime characters on the weekend? And what makes you think you're going to be able to sustain an interesting narrative over the course of an entire leap year and still keep up with this original, boring blog? And can I read it?

And the answers are, yes, of course they are and of course I do, fuck you, I have no idea at all, and no, not until I've done a couple and it doesn't suck, or at lease, sucks interestingly. I'm not getting any younger, and if I don't start pushing myself as a writer now I'll wake up one morning a deeply depressed forty-something with five 10 year-old unfinished plays.

1 comment:

Liza said...

I think you are a unique and beautiful snowflake.