Tuesday, March 3, 2009

So I went on vacation...

And I came back and I lost my job. For reasons that I mostly don't want to talk about because, well, mostly I don't want to talk about them. I loved my job, I loved our mission, but I don't think anyone that talked to me over the last year missed the fact that there were problems, and it's an understatement to say that I'm not relieved to be done with them.

So I'm unemployed, and it's weird. For the longest time now, I've just been throwing myself into problems, pushing past everything that happened, and this is a really sudden period of enforced inactivity. Yes, I'm worried about my career, of course I'm worried about money, but I think more than anything I'm overwhelmed by finally having to take the time to think. I can now, within a certain amount of reason, go anywhere I want. Of course, New Orleans is at the top of the list. I have no reason now not to go back. I can start my life over, anywhere I want.

And I went back to Rhode Island for a while. I can't help but think of the last time I was at my mother's house without a job, three years ago, and boy, is that ever something I don't want to relive. It's different now, though. For one thing, there is, I can't help thinking, the chance that I might actually be able to get another job. Shocking, I know.

Some things I've learned about unemployment:

1.) America's Next Top Model is always on TV. Always.
2.) There are some jobs that no one is qualified for. Show me the person who can run the accounting department, the IT department, and the development department for an entire organization, and do it part-time, and do it for less than 30K a year, and I will show you Aladdin's goddamn genie.
3.) Job websites do not update faster than I can apply for jobs. I applied for 25 yesterday, and now I don't have anything to do today.
4.) Having bronchitis is an excellent way to avoid boredom. Also, see number 1.
5.) Tyra Banks becomes exponentially more annoying as the seasons progress. If they get to season 20, we're going to have to nuke Los Angeles to save society as we know it.
6.) I find having unrealistic goals for my enforced down time helpful. This week's goals have included: writing a novel, becoming an Iron Man, becoming a commercial fisherman, joining the NYPD, becoming an eco-terrorist, or going rogue and becoming a hitman.
7.) Or an X-man. I would love being an X-Man.

And with that thought, I'm out. I think it's the good season of ANTM at 2.

No comments: