Saturday, April 5, 2008

National Poetry Month, Day 5: "I Live in the Twentieth Century"

This poet has the distinction of being one of the very few that my mother actually likes. Needless to say, I like him quite a bit as well. He writes what I think are some of the best poems about sex in the twentieth century, and the stuff he has to say about relationships is pretty spot on too. He's also got a lot of stuff about the Grateful Dead and living in San Francisco and hallucinating, but I like the mushy stuff better.

I live in the Twentieth Century
and you lie here beside me. You
were unhappy when you fell asleep.
There was nothing I could do about
it. I felt hopeless. Your face
is so beautiful that I cannot stop
to describe it, and there's nothing
I can do to make you happy while
you sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Richard Brautigan...?