Friday, April 4, 2008

National Poetry Month, Day 4: "Heaven-Haven: A Nun Takes the Veil" - Gerald Manley Hopkins

Gerald Manley Hopkins is a poet that I've been promising myself to make time for years now, and I would literally have to schedule out something like a weekend for it, because all of his poems are extremely complicated and also have to be read out loud to get the full impact. So it would have to be weekend where I was alone in the house or with someone who likes to hear me say words different ways over and over again. This is one of his shorter, simpler poems, I really like it, and I keep trying and failing to put it in a play, because it sounds so great read aloud.

    I have desired to go
Where springs not fail,
To fields where flies no sharp and sided hail
And a few lilies blow.

And I have asked to be
Where no storms come,
Where the green swell is in the havens dumb,
And out of the swing of the sea.

No comments: